Re: Systemd vs Devuan

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 18:02:45 -0400
fz <franzzappuccino [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:

> What do I *actually* need systemd for???

Clearly, you don't /need/ systemd.  But I've made my peace with
it (Debian) and have come to appreciate some aspects of it.

o Systemd units are more systematic than ad-hoc shell scripts for
  starting and stopping services.  They're likely to do locking and
  pidfile creation correctly and safely.

o Relieving services from having to daemonize themselves means
  the daemonizing code is written once, correctly, instead of many
  times, possibly incorrectly.

Systemd also annoys me some times.  When I'm shutting down my computer,
do I *really* care if network interfaces are shut down gracefully?  No,
I do not.  Just shut the damn thing down!

Ultimately, it's a matter of taste.  If you prefer sysvinit, then
Devuan is fine.  If you consider sysvinit to be newfangled unnecessary
garbages, there's always FreeBSD.

Regards,

Dianne.