Currently I'm configuring a webserver with nginx/maria/php etc all the open/non proprietary stuff on Devuan in the cloud (digital ocean) and ... it works. Just compare a list of running services on whatever you're using to Devuan, and draw your own conclusions.

Imho, you get all the benefits without all the strings attached of the big players deciding what you need and how you should use it. I've used CentOS before to setup an IBM qRadar installation, and ... it was nightmarish, just like all things IBM. Again, IMHO, if you don't really NEED the compatibility to, who knows what, your clients, or your own legacy data/systems, why would you want all the bloat and worse, the uncertainty that IBM, Poettering, or others just decide to go a new horrible commercial way next year? Gnome 3 anyone? Did anyone really want systemd?

It's happening a lot lately.

On 2021-07-14 10:49 a.m., Michael P. Soulier wrote:
Debian works fine for me. :)

Mike

On 2021-07-14 10:19 a.m., Alan McKay wrote:
Picking up this old thread ... was just looking at a bunch of things
and as much as I dislike Oracle (and what they did to Sun) I have to
say this is a pretty compelling story for anyone looking for an
alternative to CentOS now that "Stream" has been announced

https://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/