Systemd vs Devuan

Hello Fellow Nerds,

I'd like to walk back a bit of rhetoric regarding IBM/Redhat. Your (RGB) comments were surely more informed than mine, If you work there, you probably are closer to all aspects of it than I am, having only done 1 project with Redhat (qRadar, as previously mentioned).... then ran screaming from the room.

If you're reading the same nerd news I am, you recently read that Microsoft is releasing their own version of Linux... you read that right. So IBM has Redhat, Oracle had the creatively titled "Oracle Linux", Google has Android (we can argue that later), I imagine Amazon has their own, and now the anti christ of software has one.

So what I was getting at by saying that IBM "ruined" Redhat, was really a poorly stated AND misinformed way of stating what I *sense* is going on in the evolution of opensource operating systems.

Which is: that the value proposition of opensource software/OS's is so great that it just makes sense for the industry giants to embrace (extend, extinguish) it. The value of Linux is now really established and mainstream (on the server).

But at the beginning of the Great Schism that is Systemd... so many questions... Systemd exactly smells like an IBM version of EEE (embrace/extend/extinguish).

Whether they actually invented EEE is a matter of reading Wikipedia, the source of all truth, right?(https://www.mediaite.com/news/wikipedia-co-founder-says-website-has-become-untrustworthy-nasty-complex-games-to-manipulate-articles/)

but I digress. The real question on my mind it this:

What does Systemd REALLY offer? What is the true value of Systemd?

I know that I'm starting a food fight, and I don't want to read a bunch of copypasta from the originators of systemd.  I want to know what my peers who now have had many years of using, fighting with, and evaluating systemd in the wild, really think.

I'm testing Devuan to use as a LEMP webserver, and so far, I find ZERO differences/incompatibilities, and 100% of the functionality I expect is delivered.

My main arguments against systemd are, notwithstanding the incomprehensibility and complexity, are that I have exactly the same thing (lemp webserver) with a fraction of the system resources.

What do I *actually* need systemd for???