hosting your own email servers

Hello,

For some time I've been hosting my own email servers for my domain, digitaltorque.ca. Lately though I'm finding this more and more difficult, as mail servers don't like the IP of my VM in the cloud, or won't deliver mail to it.

Do those here run their own email servers or has it become too much of a pain? Beyond populating an SPF record I'm not sure what else to do.

Mike