Re: hosting your own email servers

Where are you hosting?
I do a few in Amazon AWS and it is relatively smooth.  When you first
set it up you need to go fill out some kind of form stating that you
are running  a mail server and that you know what you are doing and
won't spam people.  I forget the details because that was 7 or 8 years
ago.   But overall it is relatively straightforward.
I run a list server much like this one - mailman.