Re: hosting your own email servers

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 11:48:12 -0400
"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier [ at ] digitaltorque [ dot ] ca> wrote:

> Do those here run their own email servers or has it become too much
> of a pain?

I run my own and have done for years.  Luckily, my IP seems to have a
decent reputation with the big providers.  (Oh, but any gmail accounts on
the OCLUG list will not see anything from me because the OCLUG mailing list
breaks DKIM.)

> Beyond populating an SPF record I'm not sure what else to do.

Use SPF and DKIM.  And also, with Microsoft, use their Postmaster
Tools to get your IP recognized as legit.  It takes some time and effort,
but it does eventually work.

https://sendersupport.olc.protection.outlook.com/snds/

Google, being far more arrogant than MSFT, is much harder to deal
with.  You can try https://gmail.com/postmaster/ but in my experience
MSFT is much easier to deal with.

I also have personal relationships with some DNSBL providers based
on my time at Roaring Penguin, but I haven't had to use any of those
relationships for my personal email server.

Regards,

Dianne.