Re: hosting your own email servers

On 2021-07-21 11:59 a.m., Dianne Skoll wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 11:48:12 -0400
"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier [ at ] digitaltorque [ dot ] ca> wrote:

Beyond populating an SPF record I'm not sure what else to do.

Use SPF and DKIM.  And also, with Microsoft, use their Postmaster
Tools to get your IP recognized as legit.  It takes some time and effort,
but it does eventually work.

https://sendersupport.olc.protection.outlook.com/snds/

SPF, DKIM, and I use MXToolbox to test my mail server for TLS, Reverse DNS, etc. https://mxtoolbox.com/diagnostic.aspx

Even then, Outlook has been the biggest problem for me over the years and nothing I do seems to fix it. I've followed the link above, I've emailed their support, I've followed all the steps they ask me too. Once it even worked for a couple months until I was blocked again.

Some companies also host their email with outlook and I can not email them for support either. I had to cancel an order via email once and got back the outlook blocked message. By the time I was able to get that fixed it was too late. Because of this, I've signed up for disroot.org and donate to them monthly. I'm slowly moving all my accounts over there and eventually I'll probably move my domain too. Their support is slow but its a group of volunteers so it doesn't bother me.

Andrew