Re: CentOS alternatives: Devuan

On 2021-07-15 11:54 a.m., Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

I've been using the lxde (or xfce4) desktop installs for fedora (well,
all my GUIs including Debian).  I don't like Gnome or KDE.

The two things I must have are "focus follows mouse" and a control key
where the caps-lock key is frequently found to the left of the "a".
They have been somewhat hard to find at times, but I've managed.

I don't rely on the desktop for the caps-lock remapping.

msoulier@merlin:~$ grep setxkbmap .xsession
setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps

I've mostly been using i3 for a window manager lately, although for graphical file management I do like pcmanfm. I sometimes manage files with ranger but I need to invest more time in it to make it useful.

For my kids I tend to install Ubuntu LTS with Gnome as it's more familiar to them. For myself I currently have Debian on an old 2012 Mac Mini. As they've moved away from Intel I guess I won't be able to do that anymore, but that's ok. I won't be buying their hardware anymore. Failed experiment.

Mike