Re: CentOS alternatives: Devuan

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 01:56:33PM -0400, fz wrote:
> I'm not sure what you think you're getting with the listed distros that
> you wouldn't get with either Debian or Devuan. In terms of nearly zero
> (five-nines/99999) uptime, they are all equivalent, given that they
> are configured similarly.

I think you meant to remove the word "zero" from the above uptime
sentence, or perhaps change "uptime" to "zero downtime".

> (side note: I rebooted one of my laptops, the browser was a bit
> sluggish. It had been up for 101 days, that one has Ubuntu20 on
> it. As much as I've moved away from Ubuntu, that's a decent amount
> of uptime without any issues, ie. quite reliable, imo. Also, I have
> several servers in the cloud running ubuntu20 and their uptime is
> comparable. I only reboot for convenience while testing.)

I know two internal machines serving files with these uptime numbers:

    $ date
    Wed Jul 14 14:14:28 EDT 2021

    $ uptime
     14:14:29 up 746 days, 21:37,  1 user,  load average: 0.09, 0.08, 0.01

    $ lsb_release -a
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Release:        10.04
    Codename:       lucid

When one doesn't need to do reboots to install updates, one can be up
essentially forever using Linux.