Re: Database choice (Re: CentOS alternatives: Devuan)

On 2021-07-15 9:20 a.m., Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
On 21/07/14, Dianne Skoll wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 13:56:33 -0400
fz <franzzappuccino [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:
Database: maria is super solid and feature packed.
Sure, if you don't care about data validation or standards-conformance.
I'd recommend PostgreSQL over MySql/MariaDB any day of the week.
I'm not an active database developer or user but on this one I have a
very strong opinion in favour of postgres.

As always, fitness to your application (should in most rational cases) be dictated by your use case and requirements. You are quite correct to point out the robust standards compliance of PostgreSQL, and many other features in it's favour. A quick google of mariadb vs postgresql give a good overview of the differences.

I do not support true mission critical type of applications at this time, mostly... <gulp>... wordpress... :-( ... and therefore I have been using MariaDB for some time. I do think it offers substantial value, is highly reliable for that type of light duty application, and has a large and active development and support community, in it's favour.

However, if you are really really running some mission critical
application, that someone else is paying real money for, or you
require additional advanced features, then you may want/have to pay
$$$ for Oracle database.
Yikes, Oracle... ugh... another reason to use PostgreSQL.
Totally agree.

I second that. I know of 1 very solid private Canadian company with international operations and thousands of employees that runs it's mission critical applications on PostgreSQL. If their application is down, they have to pay substantial $$$ penalties to their clients.  For me, that is a stong endorsement of PostgreSQL vs Oracle.

as a postscript, I think it's fair to say reliance on database software is the strongest case of vendor lock in you can have. Once you up an running with BrandX DBMS, especially if you become dependent on proprietary extensions, you're wed to that company for life = $$$$$

Cost of data conversion, and the ripple effect it may have on your code?... management will opt to pay the $$$$$ 100% of the time, in my experience, simply because conversion costs more $$.

Choose carefully!

Dianne.
	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!