Re: mail client UI [was: Re: FWD: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] What does a computer do?]

  • Subject: Re: mail client UI [was: Re: FWD: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] What does a computer do?]
  • From: Adrian Irving-Beer <wisq-oclug [ at ] wisq [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:10:58 -0400
On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:13:33PM -0400, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> Yup, and much s-l-o-w-e-r.  But I don't *want* a gui for email.  I
> can read my *remote* email *much* faster using ssh and mutt than I
> can read local email with a GUI mail client.

I combine the best of both worlds.  On most machines, if I want mail,
I run mutt locally with mail retrieved from an IMAP server.  I get the
benefit of centralised mail with the benefits of running the mail
client locally (e.g. saving files and spawning X applications).

But on my laptop, I run a nifty little Python utility called
"offlineimap".  It does bidirectional sync between a remote IMAP
server and a local "Maildir" hierarchy.  Since most mail clients have
great support for maildir, it's basically a MUA-independent IMAP proxy
with 100% persistent caching.

Huge benefits for both speed and offline access.  Very useful app.