[OCLUG-Tech] What does a computer do?

Hi;

As some of you know I have been teaching myself Linux and how my
computer works.  I have read several manuals, texts and visited hundreds
of sites.  I plan to do a lot more.  Throughout the process I have been
asking myself the fundamental question "What does a computer do?"

I have had the question answered several times by my research in all
kinds of manner, but none that were satisfyingly simple, clear and
succinct.

I have therefore tried to supply my own answer.  I would appreciate any
comments that point out how far I may be off the mark?  It is important
to me; I am writing up a series of notes about what I have learnt about
computers and Linux over the last year and a half and I would like those
notes to adhere to "What a computer does" as closely as possible.

"A digital computer is an appliance that takes in information meaningful
to humans; converts it into electrical data; stores it; and/or,
transforms the data; and presents it as information to humans.

Electrical data consists of a set, or continuous stream, of lower or
higher voltage pulses or bits.  Data is transformed by transistors
switching electrical data from one circuit to another.  The possible
transformations are: changing a higher voltage bit to a lower voltage
and vice versa; addition of two sets of data bits; moving data from one
meaningful location to another meaningful location within the computer."

I am particularly dissatisfied with the last sentence.  I am not sure
that it is as clear as possible or as complete as necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Needless-to-say, many many detailed paragraphs are to follow.

Regards Bill

message navigation