mail client UI [was: Re: FWD: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] What does a computer do?]

  • Subject: mail client UI [was: Re: FWD: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] What does a computer do?]
  • From: rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net (Richard Guy Briggs)
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:13:33 -0400
On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:07:15AM -0400, Miden wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 07:53 -0400, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> > Save some energy and visit the mailing list archives for
> > the earlier discussions.
> >
> > One point from the mailing list archives that I'd like to
> > highlight is that a good mail client can help.
> >
> > I use mutt - if I press "r" it will reply to the sender
> > of the message, "g" will reply to sender and list, and "L"
> > will reply to the list.
>
> Or you could pretend you're in the 21st century (Wait! We are! We are!)
> and use something like Evolution which does all of the above with a few
> keystrokes or from a menu, sorts mail, keeps track of and manages
> addresses/contacts, manage tasks, has a calendar to list and notify you
> of appointments etc. and all that with a usable GUI! And it will filter
> spam (ok that one is so-so).

Yup, and much s-l-o-w-e-r.  But I don't *want* a gui for email.  I can
read my *remote* email *much* faster using ssh and mutt than I can read
local email with a GUI mail client.

> Those old text-based wooden computers are cute though. I particularly
> like the ornate hand-cranks.

Yeah, but they're so much faster and reliable...

> :-)
>
> -m

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --    ~\             Auto-Free Ottawa! Canada
<www.TriColour.net>                --    \@       @       <www.flora.org/afo/>