Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copy of Server

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 01:04:43AM -0400, Alex at Avantel wrote:
> On May 12, 2005 11:38 pm, Greg Franks wrote:
> > Alex at Avantel wrote:
> > >Here's my idea so far (after installing FC3 on the other box);
> > >
> > >1) let rpm tell me which files I've changed on the production system
> > >	- (rpm -V --all)
> > >	- edit this list to remove files obviously not neede
> >
> > Ouch -- sounds painful..
>
> It's all just bash scripts . . . look for the ones where there's a change,
> discard the rest.  Using scripts to catch the changes, the list of files (&
> directories) got whitled down to about 200 and then I manually deleted a few.
> tar that up and bring it over to a vanilla FC3 install - or at least that's
> the plan . . . first attempt wrecked my raid configuration (now that's an
> ouch!)

The problem with your method, if you want it to be repeatable, is that a
lot of files aren't included in the rpm verify output.  Any data or
extra config files are going to be missing.

You're really making this hard by trying to use a freshly installed
system and copying changed config files, I think.

mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE