Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copy of Server

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Alex at Avantel wrote:

> Sure but I can think of lots of files that would prevent correct operation of
> the new system - fstab, madm.conf, a lot of the boot files, .ssh key files,
> etc. etc.  None of which is much of a problem on bare metal restoration

Sure but IMHO dealing these few issues is quicker than rebuilding a system
from scratch and copying config across.  Unless you use the same version
of the same distro it is not going to be much fun.

> Couldn't even re-boot after the first few attempts at that - have you done
> this?

Yep, countless times over the last 11 years.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.