Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copy of Server

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Alex at Avantel wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to set up a new "development" server that will
> have the same configuration as an already existing and working "production"
> server.  Doing a straight "bare-matel" restore to a different box won't work

What makes you say that?  Linux handles bare metal installs to different
hardware very well.

tar, cpio, dump and xfsdump are all viable options (the last 2 for
specific filesystems).

If you use tar then use -X tar.exclude with the file tar.exclude having at
least:

/cdrom
/floppy
/mnt
/proc
/tmp

There are a few things to worry about:

1. NICs will probably be detected in a different order (afterall the
   interrupts and even the drivers may be completely different).

2. Custom kernels may not be right for the new cpu(s).  If necessary, use
   the kernel which came with the distro and build a new custom kernel for
   the new cpu type.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.