Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copy of Server

On May 12, 2005 10:15 pm, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2005, Alex at Avantel wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out how to set up a new "development" server that
> > will have the same configuration as an already existing and working
> > "production" server.  Doing a straight "bare-matel" restore to a
> > different box won't work
>
> What makes you say that?  Linux handles bare metal installs to different
> hardware very well.

Sure but I can think of lots of files that would prevent correct operation of
the new system - fstab, madm.conf, a lot of the boot files, .ssh key files,
etc. etc.  None of which is much of a problem on bare metal restoration

> tar, cpio, dump and xfsdump are all viable options (the last 2 for
> specific filesystems).

Couldn't even re-boot after the first few attempts at that - have you done
this?

> If you use tar then use -X tar.exclude with the file tar.exclude having at
> least:
>
> /cdrom
> /floppy
> /mnt
> /proc
> /tmp
>
> There are a few things to worry about:
>
> 1. NICs will probably be detected in a different order (afterall the
>    interrupts and even the drivers may be completely different).

And their configuration will have to be changed back to what's already
correct.

> 2. Custom kernels may not be right for the new cpu(s).  If necessary, use
>    the kernel which came with the distro and build a new custom kernel for
>    the new cpu type.

Don't need to - it's already a running system - all I want to do is get a list
of ALL the files I need to copy over without having to reconfigure anything
when it's done.

Thanks . . .

Alex
====