Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copy of Server

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 08:16:06PM -0400, Alex at Avantel wrote:

>  Doing a straight "bare-matel" restore to a different box won't work

I do bare-metal restores to different hardware all of the time. If you
include a generic kernel image it is very easy and you will avoid most
of the issues. After the restore there are always a few files to
change but a simple checklist can take care of that. In my case it
takes less then 5 minutes after the restore is complete.

I use Symantec Ghost. The tar, cpio, rsync, and mondo methods should
all work as well, if not better. These methods are the best way.

--
sg