Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copy of Server

On May 13, 2005 09:43 am, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 08:16:06PM -0400, Alex at Avantel wrote:
> >  Doing a straight "bare-matel" restore to a different box won't work
>
> I do bare-metal restores to different hardware all of the time. If you
> include a generic kernel image it is very easy and you will avoid most
> of the issues. After the restore there are always a few files to
> change but a simple checklist can take care of that. In my case it
> takes less then 5 minutes after the restore is complete.

OK, maybe it's that "simple checklist" I'm trying to get a handle on - but
it's probably a longer list since I'm not interested in a restore - I want a
clone on a different box - different ip, dhcp rather than fixed ip, different
gateway, different firewall, disks, cpu, etc.

> I use Symantec Ghost. The tar, cpio, rsync, and mondo methods should
> all work as well, if not better. These methods are the best way.

Well, the "best way" hasn't worked very well for me so far.  Sure I can make
it work - I'm not totally clueless.  I was hoping there was a more proactive
way, and that's why I'm checking with this list :)  So far I'm still not sure
how to identify all the files that need changing (either in advance before
trouble surfaces, or after when it's not working) although I'm sure someone
will jump in and tell me it's "experience". . . I want to do that with
scripts and I'm going to pursue that a bit further.  I'll tilt at the
windmills for a bit longer . . .

Cheers & Thanks

Alex
====

> --
> sg

dangerous content by Avantel Systems, and is
believed to be clean.