Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copy of Server

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 08:15:58AM -0400, Martin Hicks wrote:

> The problem with your method, if you want it to be repeatable, is
> that a lot of files aren't included in the rpm verify output.  Any
> data or extra config files are going to be missing.
>
> You're really making this hard by trying to use a freshly installed
> system and copying changed config files, I think.

Depends on the distribution.  On some, like Debian, which have very
concise and strict places for everything, you can probably get away
with ensuring the same package set is installed, then copying over
most of the stuff in /etc, /var, and so on.

Of course, determining what not to include in 'most of' is the hard
part.  In general, I think it'd probably just be fastest to take
the 'bare metal' route with scripts to patch up the target system
as needed.  (Don't forget the bootloader.)