Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copy of Server

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 08:15:58AM -0400, Martin Hicks wrote:

> You're really making this hard by trying to use a freshly installed
> system and copying changed config files, I think.

I've done something similar in the past, but the method I used was to
get a list of packages and install that on a fresh system, then rsync
the differences for the directories I cared about (/etc, /home, some
of /var, etc).  This ended up a little cleaner than if I had just
rsync'd the entire thing.

As a side note, I now use dirvish to make complete live, revisioned
backups of the server off site.  The server is currently using 6.2
GiB, and I find that dirvish transfers about 600 MiB nightly (keeping
the last week, one for the last several weeks, and one for the last
several months, all automatically).  Good thing my transfers aren't
limited to 20 GiB a month like some providers do.

Kevin.