Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copy of Server

On May 13, 2005 08:15 am, Martin wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 01:04:43AM -0400, Alex at Avantel wrote:

> > > Ouch -- sounds painful..
> >
> > It's all just bash scripts . . . look for the ones where there's a
> > change, discard the rest.  Using scripts to catch the changes, the list
> > of files (& directories) got whitled down to about 200 and then I
> > manually deleted a few. tar that up and bring it over to a vanilla FC3
> > install - or at least that's the plan . . . first attempt wrecked my raid
> > configuration (now that's an ouch!)
>
> The problem with your method, if you want it to be repeatable, is that a
> lot of files aren't included in the rpm verify output.  Any data or
> extra config files are going to be missing.

Taken care of in the step edited out of my message ( compare the "all-files"
list with those rpm knows about and keep anything rpm doesn't recognize ) So
either rpm says "it's changed" and I keep it, or rpm says "not mine" and I
keep it.  Either way I get them all.

> You're really making this hard by trying to use a freshly installed
> system and copying changed config files, I think.

But isn't that what you also have to do after an rsynch? For example - you
have to know which files may have been changed that should not have been (or
added but are wrong for the local system), and then go in and fix them all.
For example all those files which deal with the local hardware (cpu, disks,
network cards) These are scattered across the filesystem in places like
/etc/sysconfig, /etc/fstab, and so on.  And of course when you "fix" them,
you have to do the editing manually - room for error.

Like I said in my first post, maybe I'm missing something obvious but using
rsync or a giant copy-all tarball sounds like "just do it and clean up the
mess later".

Since obviously everyone thinks I'm nuts do do it this way - I'm trying to
figure out what's missing.

Thanks;

Alex
====

> mh
>
> --
> Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE

dangerous content by Avantel Systems, and is
believed to be clean.