Re: Linux advocacy and Linux Mint

Quoting Callie Jones <calypsoraven [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>:

Now a Linux question: I was checking the updates that are ready to be
installed. I did not want to simply choose them all due to the probs I had
last time. So I decided to select the ones that seemed most crucial,
Firefox and Linux itself. I read the details regarding each and in the one
called "LInux Kernel" I found the answer to what happened the last time
with updates. It stated that "...this update will not remove the current
kernel by choosing the advanced option in the boot menu. BUT be careful,
kernel regression can affect the ability to connect to the Internet or to
log in graphically."  Both of these things happened, if you recall.  It
goes on to say "DKMS  modules are compiled for the most recent kernels
installed. And if using proprietary drivers and want to use an older
kernel," I will need to remove the new one first.

If I got this right, it means I  installed a new Kernel, but the previous
one was still there and that caused the problem.  So my question is: do I
install the new Linux Kernel and how to avoid having the internet and
graphic issues crop up again?

You are right, you had exactly the symptoms it warns about.  Maybe
installing a new kernel will leap-frog to a working kernel.  I'd try
installing, you can always pick an old kernel again from the GRUB boot
menu.

Hope that helps,
Tom