Re: xterm was: [OCLUG-Tech] Broken pasting in Mutt/screen

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:32:43AM -0500, Trevor Curtis wrote:

> I've never gotten into tabbed terminals. I use gnome-terminals the same
> way I used xterms: dozens open at once. I use vim (gvim in X) and find
> the same thing. I find using one window with a bunch of buffers really
> difficult to use, and use dozens of gvim windows instead. I suppose I
> like to be able to see a lot of my terminals and open files at once
> which you can't do with buffers and tabs.

For what it's worth, EMACS does allow you to open any buffer in any
window.  For example, if I have two windows 1 and 2 editing files A and B,
1 can view A and 2 can view B, or vice versa.  They can even _both_ be
viewing A.

I don't use terminal tabs either.  I just run 'screen -x' inside most
terminals.  This has the advantage that any "tab" can be opened in any
window, which is useful to me on a daily basis (for example, if I want
to refer to something in "tab" 1 while typing in "tab" 2).  It also
saves on screen real estate because there's no tab bar.

> I find however that tabs in a web browser are indispensable. I have no
> idea how IE users deal with having so many browser windows.

It's probably because browser windows are so _big_.  I don't want more
than a couple of those, ever :)

Jody