Re: xterm was: [OCLUG-Tech] Broken pasting in Mutt/screen

Martin,Vic: sorry, you will get this twice.

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 09:47:04AM -0500, Martin Hicks wrote:

> Too bad xterm is useless.

I am interested to know what you dislike about xterm.

Some time last year I switched back to xterm after getting fed up with
the brokeness of Konsole and older Gnome-terminals. The tabbed
consoles features were neat, but screen is almost as good. I do miss
the easy opening of URLs, but have found a partial work around with
key bindings such as this:

bash -c "mozilla `xclip -o`"

The last time I used Gnome-terminal (or multi-terminal ??) was about a
year ago and I found it buggy. There was some odd screen corruption
when resizeing, and some occational problems handling unusual control
characters. It was much better then Konsole though. Konsole had
terrible font handling and was all but hardcoded to use the
konsole-font. The handleing of profiles and settings was confused to
say the least. Konsole (and KDE in general) does not handle multiple
displays well. With dual displays it was always a guess where the
Konsole would open. Both Gnome-terminal and Konsole did not respect
the command line. In general xterm has better configuration options
then either Konsole or Gnome-terminal.

I did try rxvt, but at the time it did not support true type fonts and
anti-aliasing. Xterm does.

Here are my xterm resources for anyone interested:

xterm*faceName: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
xterm*faceSize: 13
xterm*foreground: grey94
xterm*cursorColor: yellow
xterm*background: black
xterm*scrollBar: on
! savelines is a signed 16bit int. This is undocumented AFAIK.
xterm*saveLines: 32000
xterm*VT100*geometry: 85x25

xterm*vt100.scrollTtyOutput: false
xterm*vt100.scrollKey: true

xterm.utmpInhibit: true

xterm.vt100.highlightSelection: true
xterm.vt100.trimSelection: true

! thickness dosen't work despite docs
! xterm*Scrollbar.thickness: 4
! with a width of 8 and geom of 85x25
! xactly two xterms can be displayed side by side
xterm*Scrollbar.width: 8
xterm*Scrollbar.backgroud: black
xterm*Scrollbar.foreground: grey76

--