Re: forwarding to a gmail account

It might be overkill, but if the business has email requirements that grow beyond forwarding the mail for a single email address, you might consider installing mailinabox on that virtual server (or another one). It will handle the email nicely and the management interface is simple, so you could probably pass it back to your sister. And it will handle the use-case of forwarding mail to GMail.

Tim

On 2019-01-19 1:02 p.m., Michael P. Soulier wrote:
So, I help our my sister's business by handling her domain. For some
time she has paid for a virtual server with westhost.com, and on it, I
have a simple forward rule in /etc/aliases for her business account to
her gmail account, as she requested.

trish: tsoulier [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com
petservices: trish

So someone emailing petservices [ at ] pawsitiveapproach [ dot ] ca will result in a
forward to tsoulier [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com. This has been working fine.

Suddenly it's not.

tsoulier [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com
     (reason: 550-5.7.1 This message does not have authentication
information or fails to pass)
     (expanded from: trish)

... while talking to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.:
DATA
<<< 550-5.7.1 This message does not have authentication information or
fails to pass
<<< 550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users from
spam, the
<<< 550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit
<<< 550-5.7.1
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
<<< 550 5.7.1 information. s3si2560808iom.144 - gsmtp
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

I don't understand why google is asking for authentication for a simple
forward. We're not relaying, we're forwarding.

I'm in the middle of moving her nameservers to use my config at
digitalocean so I can better control her setup, but I've had the same
issue there with a simple mail forward so I'm asking.

If I use postfix' virtual hosting, then that works. But why would a
simple /etc/aliases forward be rejected?

Help appreciated. Google's explanation is not helpful, at least to me.

Mike