Re: forwarding to a gmail account

On 2019-01-19 13:51, Rick Leir wrote:
> Michel
> Sorry, it is not a simple answer. They suggest DKIM, SPF and DMARC for
> authentication, and setting these up will take a bit of effort. It is not
> clear how Google scores an email to block spam, maybe one of the
> authentication systems above would be adequate. Or maybe they are all
> required.

I've gone through the process to set up DKIM, SPF and DMARC and last I checked
I had it right, but things keep evolving...

This past week I've had a couple of clues that things also broke too though, so
I have to start digging again.

> Have you tried forwarding to a yahoo account? It might be easier.

I've asked a number of subscribers to mailing lists on my server to choose an
account *other* than yahoo because they've broken all mailing lists, including
those run by the IETF (ironically).

> Rick
>

> On January 19, 2019 1:02:39 PM EST, "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier [ at ] digitaltorque [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> >So, I help our my sister's business by handling her domain. For some
> >time she has paid for a virtual server with westhost.com, and on it, I
> >have a simple forward rule in /etc/aliases for her business account to
> >her gmail account, as she requested.
> >
> >trish: tsoulier [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com
> >petservices: trish
> >
> >So someone emailing petservices [ at ] pawsitiveapproach [ dot ] ca will result in a
> >forward to tsoulier [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com. This has been working fine.
> >
> >Suddenly it's not.
> >
> >   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> >tsoulier [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com
> >    (reason: 550-5.7.1 This message does not have authentication
> >information or fails to pass)
> >    (expanded from: trish)
> >
> >   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> >... while talking to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.:
> ><<< 550-5.7.1 This message does not have authentication information or
> >fails to pass
> ><<< 550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users from
> >spam, the
> ><<< 550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit
> ><<< 550-5.7.1
> >https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
> ><<< 550 5.7.1 information. s3si2560808iom.144 - gsmtp
> >554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
> >
> >I don't understand why google is asking for authentication for a simple
> >forward. We're not relaying, we're forwarding.
> >
> >I'm in the middle of moving her nameservers to use my config at
> >digitalocean so I can better control her setup, but I've had the same
> >issue there with a simple mail forward so I'm asking.
> >
> >If I use postfix' virtual hosting, then that works. But why would a
> >simple /etc/aliases forward be rejected?
> >
> >Help appreciated. Google's explanation is not helpful, at least to me.
> >
> >Mike

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!