Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Rogers and Sendmail

Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
: Note that Rogers requires you to login before accepting any e-mail. Is
: your SMTP service configured to handle this?

I know this is true if you're on the Internet at large and relaying through
them, but if the machine is connected to a Rogers cable line, doesn't it
relay automagically?

Regardless, taking a look at the log lines, sendmail is trying to send to
localhost and failing.  This is because sendmail doesn't seem to be
listening on localhost, as per the netstat output provided.  That needs to
be fixed long before Rogers becomes a problem.

I would suggest, unfortunately, that the OP move away from Sendmail.  Though
I haven't seen any significant security vulnerabilities from it lately, its
configuration file is archaic and difficult to understand.  There are many
other drop-in replacements that exist (exim, postfix), a number of
replacements that require a bit of extra work (qmail), and other SMTP
clients-that-run-as-daemons (ssmtp), all as viable alternatives that will be
easier to maintain.

  - Damian