Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Rogers and Sendmail

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 12:52 -0500, Bruce Harding wrote:
> I'm running a blog with Wordpress 2.7 and I would like have a limited amount
> of users be about to register to my blog.  The problem I'm having is the
> verification email is not going through.  Below is the error message
> from /var/log/messages.
>

> Jan 13 12:44:11 server sendmail[7951]: n0DHiAfd007951:
> to=bruce [ at ] computerbooksforless [ dot ] com, ctladdr=apache (81/81), delay=00:00:01,
> xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30525, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1],
> dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused
>
> So my questions are this a problem with Rogers or do I have a configuration
> problem.  Do I need to use my Rogers Smtp?

Note that Rogers requires you to login before accepting any e-mail. Is
your SMTP service configured to handle this?

Also, I stopped using my server at home as a SMTP relay after I found
out that many sites (ISP's and companies), just drop messages
relayed via a dynamic IP address, as the one you get from Rogers. I
guess they assume that they are SPAM.

So, even if you get to pass messages on to Rogers I bet that at one
point or another you will hit this second problem and there's nothing
you can do about it.

--
Pedro