Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Rogers and Sendmail

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 05:52:10PM -0500, Damian Gerow wrote:
> I would suggest, unfortunately, that the OP move away from Sendmail.
> Though I haven't seen any significant security vulnerabilities from it
> lately, its configuration file is archaic and difficult to understand.
> There are many other drop-in replacements that exist (exim, postfix),
> a number of replacements that require a bit of extra work (qmail), and
> other SMTP clients-that-run-as-daemons (ssmtp), all as viable
> alternatives that will be easier to maintain.

Sendmail isn't all that hard to maintain if you stick to managing the
sendmail.mc file and stay away from trying to hand-edit the sendmail.cf.

That said, unless you've got a need for all of Sendmail's features,
Postfix might be a better choice.  It's not a 'drop-in' replacement for
Sendmail, but it's definitely easier for a novice system administrator
to configure.

I'm personally not too impressed with Exim or qmail.  Qmail in
particular needs a LOT of extra work to make it function well.  I'd
recommend staying away from either of those.

Cheers,
Dave