Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Rogers and Sendmail

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 6:10:41 pm Dave O'Neill wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 05:52:10PM -0500, Damian Gerow wrote:
> > I would suggest, unfortunately, that the OP move away from Sendmail.
> > Though I haven't seen any significant security vulnerabilities from it
> > lately, its configuration file is archaic and difficult to understand.
> > There are many other drop-in replacements that exist (exim, postfix),
> > a number of replacements that require a bit of extra work (qmail), and
> > other SMTP clients-that-run-as-daemons (ssmtp), all as viable
> > alternatives that will be easier to maintain.
>
> Sendmail isn't all that hard to maintain if you stick to managing the
> sendmail.mc file and stay away from trying to hand-edit the sendmail.cf.
>
> That said, unless you've got a need for all of Sendmail's features,
> Postfix might be a better choice.  It's not a 'drop-in' replacement for
> Sendmail, but it's definitely easier for a novice system administrator
> to configure.
>
> I'm personally not too impressed with Exim or qmail.  Qmail in
> particular needs a LOT of extra work to make it function well.  I'd
> recommend staying away from either of those.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave
Okay to get back to what I'm doing.  First what and why do I need to be about
to send mail.  I've a blog (faintfuzzies.ca).  I've some astronomy buddy that
would like to register so that they can make use of my photo gallery to post
there photos.  To make this work wordpress sends out and email to complete
the validation process.  I'm sure some of you are aware of how this works.

This is what I'm trying to achieve.  Because of what some have posted here I
removed sendmail and put back sSMTP.

What I don't understand is Gallery2 can send email so way can't Wordpress?

--
Bruce Harding, Member: IEEE, SPIE, IACR
Manager,