Re: [OCLUG-Tech] DSL Packet Loss

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 07:33:18PM -0500, Charles MacDonald wrote:
> Just an outside data point, I have NCF/TekSavvy here, and it has
> acually behaved this week.

You're having problems at a different level.  I'm trying to get
the modem and the central office to connect at the link level; no IP
address involved.  You sound like you're having IP connectivity issues.

I hope to be able to have your problems after I fix my problems!

I note that on my 3Web DSL circuit, they send me LCP echo requests
every 10 seconds.  NCF doesn't do that.  When my 3Web line is down for
"too long", even though my end's modem thinks the line is still "up",
the other end refuses to talk to me - no response to ping.  I have to
stop and restart ppp to get things working.  I presume 3Web drops my
link when I don't answer the echo requests.  NCF doesn't seem to do that,
and so NCF doesn't need pppd restarted even on a bad line or modem reset.
It just works.

Today has been awful from 7am on - very high error rates on both lines.
In the past 24 hours one modem has reset 394 times and the other 40 times.

The Bell repair guy was supposed to drop around today to find the
intermittent short that broke my third line phone service last night
for several hours.  Things are working fine today, now that the wind
and water have died down.