Re: [OCLUG-Tech] DSL Packet Loss

On Wed 08/10/29 08:42, "rgb" rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net wrote:
> Interesting numbers.  How are you collecting this data?  I've never tried
> or even known that I could collect information from my DSL modem.  I don't
> know if it makes any difference, but I've got ethernet over ATM rather than
> PPPoE. It is the same modem, but configured slightly differently.  I've never seen
> a configuration or statistics interface for any of my DSL modems.

It doesn't so much matter what the underlying technology is.  What's more important is whether or not your modem supports the gathering of statistics.

Most modern modems run an SNMP stack, which makes things significantly easier.  However, even if it has a telnet/web interface that presents these statistics, expect+cron would make a great starting point for scraping this information from console/web output.

Though I'm trying to keep everything in cacti (ugh), I'm not really sure what Ian's using.

> I'm currently on Taksavvy, but have previously been on CIA, IGS,
> iStop, BellNexxia, all on the same type of service.  The Teksavvy line is on a
> dry loop.

It's technically all the same DSL service, provided by BellNexxia.  You're just changing the routing of your IP packets to go through a different ISP.

> As far as I'm aware, I'm not seeing any of these problems.

Thanks.  As an update...

Looks like the coinciding problems were just a coincidence.  Bell appears to have moved my service off the RSLAM to a DSLAM, and I'm now 6km from the CO.

That's the running theory, anyhow -- we can't figure out why I'm more than a kilometer further from my CO, and this is the most obvious explanation.  Given Occam's razor, it also makes it the most plausible.

  - Damian

message navigation