Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Back-up strategy for home linux systems

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Brett Delmage wrote:

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Dan Langille wrote:

I backup my data.  I leave the OS for reinstallation.  The data
includes configuration files etc.  But I don't backup the apps etc,
things which can be easily reconstructed from other sources.

As long as you have time to do so.

If it's a "mission critical" system, that could be mean: ASAP!
Mission critical doesn't have to be a server, it could be the only
computer you have and you need to be able to finish your school
assignment or contract on time, without 4 hours delay.

In my experience, my HD drives seem to fail right before I go to bed and I need that system running the next day so I can't leave it down. That means I get to spend all night remembering my somewhat manual recovery process.

As you noted, RAID-1 can help there. But of course rm -rf / will nicely
erase the files on both the master and RAID image. A thief will steal
both drives at once, and a fire will melt both... Yes, RAID is not a
backup.

My backup: I have a script that copies to a medium sized hard drive (200
GB) using gnu cp with numbered backup versions option. I have two copies
of the system on two different disk partitions. I keep the drive in the
300 lb (fire) safe when not backing up. And I am about to get a second
drive so I can rotate.

Does this mean that you get numbered image files of the system or does it mean that your backup copies are bootable copies of the system? I was hoping to buy a big ass drive and store mulitple image files of multiple systems and keep it off site but that is the second part of my simple backup plan. The first would be to create the images via a scheduled backup script. For that I'd need to have the backup drive installed. I'll forget to attach the drive if I have it in the safe or more likely, I'll leave it attached to the computer and defeat the purpose of the safe.

rsync-snapshot seemed good (does what I am doing now, but better) but I
couldn't get it to work correctly in the time I had.

Brett