Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Back-up strategy for home linux systems

* Dan Langille <dan [ at ] langille [ dot ] org> [070226 22:12]:
> On 26 Feb 2007 at 21:47, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
>
> > I think you want to create a hot stand by.  Bacula is probably not the
> > right tool for that.  Maybe RAID-1.
>
> And to be clear, RAID is not a backup.  It is a tool to help you
> through a disk failure.

It's a backup if your cron job hot injects the other disk and resyncs
the drives, then disconnects them (in software speak only) once
finished.

Moreover, it's a full image.

> I backup my data.  I leave the OS for reinstallation.  The data
> includes configuration files etc.  But I don't backup the apps etc,
> things which can be easily reconstructed from other sources.

Pretty much the same here.  If you distribute your data correctly, you
can easily reconstruct your system with just /etc, /var, /home and maybe
/usr/local.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/