Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Back-up strategy for home linux systems

* dman [ at ] lanhouse [ dot ] ca <dman [ at ] lanhouse [ dot ] ca> [070226 21:17]:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
>
> Thanks for the replies.  I'm off to figure out Bacula.
>
> >>I think you can backup the device, but I wouldn't do that myself.
> >
> >I also found this unusual.  I wish I had the disk space you must have :)
>
> Ok, I'll bite...  Why wouldn't I want to do the whole drive?  If I need to
> restore due to a drive failure wouldn't I need to restore from an image of
> the whole drive (including the boot sector and MBR)?  I'm not on the same
> page as you guys.  Please put me on the same page :)

I could not backup all my data as disk images and keep multiple
revisions -- I wouldn't have enough space.

Dan and I are advocating for backing up data, not the disk.

MBR, for example, is pretty easy to reconstruct.  Pop in a bootable
linux distro, or just reinstall base Debian.

I think you want to create a hot stand by.  Bacula is probably not the
right tool for that.  Maybe RAID-1.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/