Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Back-up strategy for home linux systems

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 22:54 -0500, Brett Delmage wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > I backup my data.  I leave the OS for reinstallation.  The data
> > includes configuration files etc.  But I don't backup the apps etc,
> > things which can be easily reconstructed from other sources.
>
> As long as you have time to do so.
>
> If it's a "mission critical" system, that could be mean: ASAP!
> Mission critical doesn't have to be a server, it could be the only
> computer you have and you need to be able to finish your school
> assignment or contract on time, without 4 hours delay.
-clipped-

I've never understood the apparent resistance to a simple
imaging/recovery process in the Linux world. Reinstall the OS - rebuild
apps if necessary etc. reinstall your data vs click, click, go make some
coffee, get back to work.

The Dark World has had simple imaging solutions available for many years
(which offers a solution if you dual-boot. IIRCC Norton Ghost will
create an image of a Linux system).

For the average home user who is not likely to have to do reinstalls
very often and is therefore not likely to have the details of the
routine engraved on their brain, a simple up-to-date image would be a
godsend.

I would be interested in a simple command line instruction which would
create an image of my system - and the instruction to reinstall that
image.

-m