Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Back-up strategy for home linux systems

Hey Dan,

Thanks for pointing out Bacula.

It appears to be a complete backup solution that scales easily and provides features that would be very useful to a backup administrator of a network.

After some reading, I have a question about disaster recovery with Bacula. I have not read every section of the documentation so please forgive any confusion on my part (but feel free to correct me).

Bare Metal Recovery requirements:

1) functional empty HD (new one since the old one died for example) working in the same functional system that the backups were performed on.

2) A custom Bacula rescue CD (cool) built from the system before the HD crash.

3) A fully configured Bacula Director, Catalog, and Storage daemon running on another machine on your local network.

4) A full Bacula backup of your system

3) has me concerned for my use case. That would require a second system running some Bacula servers. I was hoping to not have to do this. I do have 2 Linux systems so I could have each one running Bacula Director, Catalog, and Storage daemon. Then if one server dies, the other one could serve this purpose?

Am I correct is assuming that 4) does not contain enough information that it coupled with the custom Bacula rescue CD is not sufficient to recover a failed HD? There is additional information/software required and that is where 3) comes in?

3) might not seem like a big deal and it certainly wouldn't for someone managing a big network but for a home user with my horrible luck with HD drives, I can confirm that Murphy's law applies and my Bacula Director, Catalog, and Storage Linux box will be the one that has the HD failure. Just like my linux server without the backup solution is the one that dies :)

Considering that you and Bart don't mind rebuilding systems, I'm assuming that restoring the server would not be a big deal for you. I was hoping to avoid having to rebuild/reconfigure a system before I recover the image file. Seems a bit like a "Chicken/Egg" problem. You have to have a working Bacula server before recovering a Bacula server? I could be way out to lunch here so please keep in mind that I think that Bacula looks like an awesome product for large networks (even large home networks) but I'm wondering if it handles my simple use case well.

The FAQ indicates the Bacula is a network backup and restore program and I think that is exactly what it is. I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect a working Bacula server running on that network to handle the recovery of client machines on that network. But that requirement may not scale down to my needs. I concede that I didn't list a requirement suggesting that I'd like to avoid requiring a second Linux system to recover from the image.

Thank you very much for pointing out Bacula to me,

Dennis