[OCLUG-Tech] 1 Gbit NIC Debian 2.4.27 kernel

Hello All,

I've got a new 1 Gbit PCI adapter that I'm trying to get working on a Debian testing system (updated from Sarge via apt-get). The kernel is at 2.4.27. The adapter's module is called sk98lin.o (I think). The module is distributed as a source tarball that I'll need to build.

What is easier?

Install the 2.4.27 kernel source and build a new kernel and the adapter's module.

Or

Through apt-get, update the kernel to a 2.6.x kernel image and assume that it has the module I want already.

I don't currently have any 2.6 kernels so I don't know any of the changes (good or bad).

Does anyone have any other suggestions?