Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: [OCLUG] [OT] USB keyboard remapping

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 12:31:00PM -0400, GR Gaudreau wrote:

> [gr]   Hi again, I was wondering if I can take my own keyboard and
> just change the keys to make up a dvorak keyboard? From what I can
> see based on a picture of the dvorak layout, it would be just a
> question re-arranging keycaps, since Linux can easily remap the
> keyboard to dvorak. How far off am I?

I was lucky enough to be able to do this, because my laptop keys are
all identical.  The only issue was "B", which was immobile, so I had
to reverse "B" and "X".

However, I've seen and heard about keyboards where the keys in each
row (or various positions, etc.) are sloped in a particular fashion.
Before you rip out all your keys, take (say) your "W" key and "M" key
and see if they can be reversed without looking bumpy.

If not, then you may have to settle for relabelling or just
remembering.