[OCLUG-Tech] Re: [OCLUG] [OT] USB keyboard remapping

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: [OCLUG] [OT] USB keyboard remapping
  • From: Tony van Muyden <tnt [ at ] cuic [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 11:10:13 -0400

> [gr]   Would it be possible just to re-arrange the keys on my qwerty keyboard, or should I get a new keyboard? You mentioned that you had a Keytronics Dvorak keyboard, where could I buy one of those if necessary? Are they expensive?

Hi,

Keytronics KB101 model is the cadillac of keyboards. I paid $150.00 for
one of those in 1996.  Keytronics also has an kit with a Prom, and a new
set of keycaps for that keyboard.  This keyboard has many options, you
can even order kits or modify the press force needed for the keys, to
light medium and heavy.  If you can get one of these keyboards in the
aftermarket, recyclers or run into one, pick it up immediately it will
be a good buy.
Note it must be "KB101" or "KB101 Plus" marked as such on the front and
on the label.  Mine says on the bottom label "KB101 PLus-C"

The keycaps are sculptured in most keyboards so it will be difficult to
change these, as the angle changes then when they are rearranged.
If the keyboard is not sculptured, (a cheapo keyboad) then you may be
able to change the caps, but be careful to evaluate this possibility
first or you will have created a defect and broken keyboard.

All microsoft sofware, and Linux / Unix software can remap the keyboard.
This makes the software rearrange the keyoutput based on the keycontol
code, so that the result changes for a key.
I did that on all my systems, and have only one system still in "querty"
keycontol mode, but with the official Dvorak keyboard from Keytronics.
I could revert that back, as I still have the other prom and keycaps,
but it makes for a conversation piece.

Make the swich fully, and you will find that things are much easier to
type with all ten,  and as a bonus less strain on the fingers.
Reason : the Query keyboard layout was a layout made ackward, for the
old Royal and Underwood Typewriters, so that the Secretaries do not jam
the hammers when they typed too fast.  The reaches for the fingers were
purposefully made ackward and a strain on them to slow them down.

Why in Computer God's name they kept this stupid layout is beyond me.
Nowadays with the Software to control the layout, we are no longer bound
to the hardware layout.  Ergo the manufacturers have created a bad
workaround for this problem that they did not want to tackle in the
first place.
People should be learning the Dvorak layout not the Querty.
Yes I know that there are other keyboard layouts based on languages, but
the basic premise of Dvorak still applies to those as well.
You should hear the comments that I get sometimes at work when someone
else tries to do something on my computer, or when I change the layout
on the lab system without reverting it back accidentally .....

Be an individual and personalize yourself to Dvorak, you will not regret
it.  I am just as "passionate" about Dvorak as for Unix / Linux.
More power to the people !!

Tony van Muyden.