Re: [OCLUG-Tech] CACert - free digital certificates

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] CACert - free digital certificates
  • From: "Dan Langille" <dan [ at ] langille [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 12:32:41 -0400
On 3 Jun 2005 at 11:02, Rod Giffin wrote:

> On Fri, June 3, 2005 10:53, Dan Langille said:

> >> According to their website, CACert is indeed a company
> >> (not-for-profit, asking for donations).  They identify themselves
> >> as CACert Inc. http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=13
> >
> > So you are equating that company, which I didn't notice before, with
> > the CACert community and project?
>
> No, I'm just pointing out that it's a company, which would tend to be
> a good thing for liability reasons.
>
> Nevertheless, I agree with Bill's sentiment that the whole on-line
> trust model is broken, although I think there are things other than
> cash that are corrosive to principles.  The cash model at least lets
> me establish the expectation of service.

This thread isn't about the whole on-line trust model.  It's about
CACert. For the most part, the only comments have been about money
and motives.  From what I can tell, money isn't the motive behind
CACert.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/