Re: [OCLUG-Tech] CACert - free digital certificates

On Fri, June 3, 2005 10:53, Dan Langille said:
> On 3 Jun 2005 at 10:30, Rod Giffin wrote:

>> > CACert is not a company.  It's not involved in cash.  There's no
>> > profit.  I don't see how your comments relate to my question.
>>
>> According to their website, CACert is indeed a company
>> (not-for-profit, asking for donations).  They identify themselves as
>> CACert Inc. http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=13
>
> So you are equating that company, which I didn't notice before, with
> the CACert community and project?

No, I'm just pointing out that it's a company, which would tend to be a
good thing for liability reasons.

Nevertheless, I agree with Bill's sentiment that the whole on-line trust
model is broken, although I think there are things other than cash that
are corrosive to principles.  The cash model at least lets me establish
the expectation of service.

Rod.