[OCLUG-Tech] Re: CACert - free digital certificates (Dan Langille

I had a quick look at the CAcert.org web site trying to determine the answer to the key questions I usually have. The first question is how is CA's private key protected. The other question is how is trust established with the CA. A finally, how is a CSR authenticated before a certificate is issued.

A CA as in most PKI systems is only as good as the protection placed on the private key. If the private key is compromised then the trust is broken. Most CA's are locked away and access is determined based on a set of operating documents (CP, CPS, etc). I think the private key security could be a little better.

During the SSL/TLS setup process, the browser has to determine whether to trust the site or not. Usually the root CA's certificates are preloaded in the browser, but the user can load them manually. The list of browsers is small, but growing. If your user community uses one of the browsers then you are OK. Otherwise the user gets a warning and may not accept the certificate presented by your site.

The most important question in my opinion is how the CA validates a CSR as coming from you. If this is not done properly then the CA may issue or even re-issue certificates to someone masquerading as you. In my opinion, this is not done at all. Looks like they will sign a certificate from anyone regardless of the content.

I personally don't think I would use this service for an e-commerce site. If you can live with the some of these limitations then this service is for you. The price is right!

Hope this helps,
Bruce