Re: Keeping the lights on (was Re: Result of the OCLUG motion to dissolve) (fwd)

  • Subject: Re: Keeping the lights on (was Re: Result of the OCLUG motion to dissolve) (fwd)
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 18:23:59 -0400

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 12:16:50PM -0400, Brett Delmage wrote:
> This is more than enough RAM to run
> * Mailman
> * BIND authoritative / caching DNS server
> * Postfix mail server
> * Apache web server
> * opendkim

Are these numbers with or without the overhead of

- Dovecot
- OpenDMARC or SPF policy agent
- Rspamd or Spamassassin
- Munin, Prometheus/Thanos, Statsd, etc.

Any of these particularly variable load? Or ever run out of control? I don't
have historical data for my instance, or the human memory.

I'm also on Postfix and OpenDKIM, and it's been rock-solid. I do not run Apache
or Mailman, just static content over optimised (but non QUIC/HTTP/3) NGINX.

> with room to spare. I have run these services on a 256 MB server when VPSs
> were more expensive.
>
> # free -m
>            total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
> Mem:         481         143          89           1         248         325
> Swap:       1023         397         626

This is typical load, right? Ever run close to the limit on systemctl restart
of services after a pacman/apt/apk/dnf/zypper/etc. upgrade? Or due to the
package manager itself?