Where are blog tags stored in plain HTML postings?

This may seem a bit silly, but I want to take some plain HTML articles and
put them on Gitlab Pages (myname.gitlab.io). They go in the public/ subdirectory
and seem to show up OK. However, I'd like to tag them by a few simple labels,
in particular "computation", "social commentary", "R", "information management"
and ideally have separate feeds for these.

Jekyll lets me put tags in the Markdown files, but I've got the output HTML from
other mechanisms.

There's a huge industry of proprietary solutions, and even a number of quite nice
open-source ones, but they don't seem to deal much with good old plain HTML.

Best,

JN