Re: Keeping the lights on (was Re: Result of the OCLUG motion to dissolve) (fwd)

  • Subject: Re: Keeping the lights on (was Re: Result of the OCLUG motion to dissolve) (fwd)
  • From: Dianne Skoll <dianne [ at ] skoll [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 12:25:17 -0400
On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 12:16:50 -0400 (EDT)
Brett Delmage <Brett [ dot ] Delmage [ at ] twobikes [ dot ] ottawa [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca> wrote:

> This is more than enough RAM to run
> * Mailman
> * BIND authoritative / caching DNS server
> * Postfix mail server
> * Apache web server
> * opendkim

I'd take the extra 512MB of RAM over the extra 5GB of disk, but YMMV.

> The CACloud VPS also comes with 1 GB of swap, which extends the RAM
> nicely. In my experience many VPS do not come with any swap. Casual
> comparisons of VPS may not be valid.

With Luna Node, you can install whatever OS you want from an ISO image,
so if you want to configure swap, you can.

> CACloud's SSD VPSs are located at 151 Front, providing excellent
> latency for Ottawa and Canada in general.

Luna Node's Toronto data centre is in the Cogent Data Center at 245
Consumers Rd in North York.

My ping latency to my Luna Node box via Teksavvy DSL is a pretty constant
13ms.  My latency to my OVH box is a pretty constant 18ms.
My latency to www.canadianhosting.com is likewise a pretty constant
18ms.  So *shrug* no idea if it's just because Teksavvy happens to have
a better route to Luna Node, or what.

> CACloud has been completely hassle-free to control or have set up
> full mail server ports, and PTR records, both ipv4 and ipv6.

Luna Node too.  They also have a nice API (which is unlikely to be of
much use unless you're setting up / managing dozens of VPSes.)

Regards,

Dianne.