Re: Linux advocacy and Linux Mint

> Exactly.  I want to change the topic of this message from technical
> support to one of Linux advocacy.  My basic question is, is Linux
> better than Windows or Mac for non-technical users who have no free
> technical support?  I'd hope so, but Windows and Mac are much
> improved since Linux first got big, so it seems.

A few years back a girl friend of mine at the time had two grandkids aged
6 and 8 who she would not allow to use her laptop (Windows) when they
visited because she was afraid they would cause it to be infected by a virus.
I dug up an 8 year old desktop and installed linux on it (initially
a version of linux for kids but it was too much trouble for me to understand
so I installed Debian, the version of linux I use).  I showed them how to
read email and run firefox on linux and they were off to the races without
any difficulties.  The 6 year old didn't use it much initially but the 8 year
old was thrilled as she could keep in contact with friends and check out
her favourite videos (I found the videos the 8 year old watched somewhat
disturbing but that's a story for another day.)   They used the computer until
covid came along and their mother bought them each a chromebook.
I was hoping to get the 8 year old hooked on Linux and she seemed interested
but the chromebook has ended that for now.

Note:  I also showed them that there were games they could play but they never
showed much interest.  They would play their favourite games on the
Internet though.

Ralph (Rocky) Boland