Re: Wired vs wireless (was Re: Problems hearing speakers during tonight's jitsi meeting)

  • Subject: Re: Wired vs wireless (was Re: Problems hearing speakers during tonight's jitsi meeting)
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 10:05:38 -0400
On 2021-04-02 13:01, Dianne Skoll wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 12:18:22 -0400 (EDT)
> Brett Delmage <brett [ dot ] delmage [ at ] twobikes [ dot ] ottawa [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> > I wired the computers in the house for 10base2 25? years ago, from
> > basement to attic. Of course it's been upgraded to gigbit CAT6 since
> > then.
>
> Yeah, I have gigabit CAT6 also, though 100Mb/s would have
> been more than enough for traffic to the Internet.

We just bought this house 14 years ago so I had it wired with cat5
basement to attic and there are GigE switches on both ends.

> > Now if I could only get a phone with an ethernet jack.
>
> I wonder if it would support a USB Ethernet dongle with an OTG cable?
> I know Android supports keyboards, mice, headsets, etc. but I wonder
> if they've compiled in support for Ethernet?  That would be interesting
> to try.

I've wondered this more than once myself, but don't use mobile devices
to have that experience or interest.  One of my kids whose music teacher
was glued to a SIM-dependant service that could still use IP for bulk
data complained about reliability but wouldn't accept that wireless was
the problem and switch to a wired service.

> > Sometimes my phone's network operation goes strange, making me
> > wonder if someone isn't trying one of the wifi network attacks on
> > me. Maybe I shouldn't name my wifi SSID "RCMP surveillance van" or
> > "CSEC Mobile 22A, etc.?
>
> Ahaha, nice.

I had a WNDR3800 refurb that had some intermittent hardware issues to
the thing would need a hard reboot a couple of times a week to reset the
radios.  The second identical new unit is behaving much better.  :-)

> I use a 32-character long randomly-generated password as my WPA2 shared
> secret, so I'm not worried about someone getting onto the network, but
> I suppose flooding/DoSing the AP is always possible.

Mine isn't quite as long, but I'm similarly not concerned about about
someone getting in, but have had some DoS issues...  I can see at least
a couple dozen neighbouring APs here, including occasionally the pub
facing us across the river.  ;-)

> Dianne.

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!