Re: A new subscriber ... in need of help.

I would suggest you dual boot your laptop [instead of running Windows on top of Linux using VirtualBox (or VMWare or ..)] if you are worried about getting back to original Windows install.

Another idea, if you only use Windows occasionally, is to buy a SSD and swap out your laptop’s existing disk [assuming your existing disk is swappable]. Then you can install Linux on a separate disk altogether. If you have USB-C on the laptop, buy an external enclosure with USB-C connector and install your Window’s disk in that and boot off the external drive/Windows when you need to use it.

VMs usually consume a lot of memory so unless your laptop has a lot of RAM (>= 8GB), it might not be practical to run Windows as a VM.

Regards,
Spencer